Neck/Back Update

Posted on 7:15 AM by Tweedle Beetle Tri-Athletle | 0 comments

Hello All,

Well the neck and back pain is improving although I am no where near 100% and don't expect to be for another 2 weeks (just guessing).  Last Thursday, I finally broke down and went to my MD.  The final diagnosis was something akin to a enlarged/swollen/irritated/potentially herniated disk in either C6 or C7 (most likely C6).  I was prescribed a combination of medicines which seam to be doing something as I am finally sleeping through the night.   The first, Pregnizone, which is a steroid to reduce inflammation and the second is Tizanidine which is a muscle relaxant.  Four days later, I was really hoping to be further along than I am but I don't want to seem ungrateful that I can now move and sleep.  I think the scariest thing is the numbness remains in my thumb, index finger and middle finger.   This really indicates that this is more than simple muscle spasms and will probably require a longer recover.  I still have radiating pain down the arm and localized ache in between my shoulder blade and spine - this pain though, as compared to 4 to 7 days ago - I can live with for a while.

Tomorrow, I am looking forward to getting back into the gym on a VERY limited basis.  I am thinking that I will simply strap on the shoes and peddle on the spin cycle for an hour while sitting straight up...  Anyway, I will see how that might feel.

To be honest, I am not terribly concerned about the triathlon.  I feel like I had a good base going into this injury and it won't take me too long to get back into condition once I recover from this.  Right now, I am simply feeling so stir crazy that I can hardly stand it!!!  The past 4 days have been gorgeous out here - 40s and 50s, sun shining and tons of riders out on the road taking advantage of this Indian summer.  

Thanks for listening!

0 comments:

Post a Comment