Is this working?

Posted on 10:12 PM by Tweedle Beetle Tri-Athletle | 1 comments

On June 26, 2010 - 1000 hopeful Tri-Athletes will pour into Wickiup Reservoir near Sun River Oregon...  their breath falling short and chest clenching from the near freezing temperatures.  They will pull their way through a 1.2 mile swim, peddle through 56.3 miles of mountains and run another 13.1 miles to the finish at Sunriver Resort outside of beautiful Bend Oregon.

I am going to be one of them. 

Assuming I finish (this is a bit iffy at this point) 4 to 9 hours later I will stumble across the finish line, collapsing into a bliss filled coma at the feet of my very overwork wife and two terribly impatient toddlers.

With any luck I will be so exhausted that I will be unable to hear or maybe comprehend the whining that will inevitability accompany my two wonderful children after waiting at the finish line for hours on end...  I have to admit, I hope they will be there.

First off - who am I?  What a messed up question is that???  Eight years ago, I would have answered with something like, "Oh, I am a Chemical Engineer."  Six years ago, I would have blurted out, "I am an Operations Manager!" Three years ago, I would have proudly said, "I am a small business owner."  Recently, I have come to realize that all of these things are all about what I do and not who I am.

Who I am is a imperfect soul who loves his family more than anything.  My two little boys have showed me who I should be and my wifes forgiving love keeps me on track.  I am the reflection in my families eyes.

What am I doing?  I am trying to get some accountability around a very serious challenge.  My wife and children will love me regardless of whether or not I finish this race... all of you - I hope not!

What is this blog about?  Taking a 10K race ready athelete to a 1/2 Iron Man ready athelete, all the while maintaining my marrage and continuing to be the Dad my boys deserve.  This journey will last 6 months and will come to completion on June 26th, 2010. 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Larson here...I don't have a gogle account, so I have to use Nicoles...FYI.

You are a warrior my friend. Most of our days are spent fighting on the battle field of the cubical, traffic, meetings, and tasks. This is a battle of the mind and body which with the help of God will ultimately grow your spirit.

Do not be deceived. God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:7-9

Post a Comment