5 K Patience

Posted on 9:31 PM by Tweedle Beetle Tri-Athletle | 0 comments

Good News!

Today (as compared to yesterday) I actually know what I am getting myself into...    I came to the conclusion that while I can run and I can swim and I can ride a Bike - I am no where near being able to swim 1.2 miles straight... run 13.2 miles straight or ride 56.3 miles.  I am certainly no where near being able to put them all together and start with the swim and finished with the run without stopping... seriously, you have to be kidding me.  Not only am I no where near being able to do this, I have no idea how to get there...

More Good news - some generous chap (Scott Herrick) from www.beginnertriathlete.com decided to write a fantastic article entitled Preparing for your first Half Ironman (or your first "Born Again" Half Ironman). Does he know anything? Let me say, I have no idea if he knows anything at all but neither do I so I don't think he can make things any worse.  Even more generously, he decided to put together a 20 week (I have 24 weeks by the way *wohoo!*) training schedule that will get me ready to complete this race and actually feel fairly good about the result.  

In the first week, he suggests a long run work out.  Run continuously for 60 min at a level 3 or 4.  Ok, I can do that.  Really I can.  So that is what I did today (with some slight modification)


Here is my problem... I have 5K patience.  What is 5K patience you might ask?  Well here is how I might define it.  When someone tells me to run 60 min at a level 3 or 4, in my heart of hearts that means run for 60 min at about 5.5 mph (12 min miles, I think).  What I do though is translate that simple request to run 60 min at 3 or 4 into, I want to run 8 miles in 60 min!  Can I do that?  Well yes I can I found out today, but with a heart rate that started at 162 and climed to 190 by the time I was done... I don't think I met the level 3 or 4 expectation.... 

Well just to keep honest and because I think that part of this should be a training journal, here was my workout today.

Run: 8.5 miles
Ave Speed: 7.6 mph
Time: Aprox 70 min with warmup and cool down
Ave HR: 173 BPM (162 BPM first mile / 188 BPM last mile)
Push Ups
Situps
Back Extensions

Overall I felt fantastic...  I am feeling super motivated and excited to do this (lets see how long that might last)

0 comments:

Post a Comment